North West Travellers 5 - West Lanc YC
SE Traveller No 6 - DSWC
28 May at 1030
SW Open Training - Saltash SC
29 May at 1030
SW Open Traveller 3 - Saltash SC
30 May at 0900
UK Intermediate Squad - UKIS 7 - Plymouth
30 May at 0900
UK Junior Squad - UKJS 7 - Cumbrae
Eastern Area Open Coaching 6 - NBYC
Eastern Area Open Coaching 7 - NBYC
SE Traveller No 7 - Greenwich Yacht Club
04 June at 0900
Welsh Topper Nationals
East Lothian Yacht Cluvb Open Regatta - North Berwick
North West Travellers 6 - Bassenthwaite SC
Scottish Schools Champs / Brown Cup - Loch Earn
11 June at 1030
SW Open Training - Poole YC
Eastern Area Traveller 3 - Snettisham Beach SC
National Race Series
Latest Topper News
|ITCA (GBR) is the Class Association for Topper sailors in the UK. We are known as "The Friendly Class", with sailors keen to welcome new members and parents and supporters who are always happy to help one another and promote good sportsmanship. We organise coaching and racing events for Topper sailors both at a regional level and nationally, and although the Topper is sailed predominantly by junior sailors we have active members of all ages in our fleet. Membership is governed by our constitution, which you can view and download here.|
|Click here to Join Us|
Renew Your Membership
A new Facebook Group has been set up to make it easy to share photos, news and gossip relating to Topper sailing in the UK. It is aimed mainly at ITCA (GBR) members and their families and friends but anyone can join the group. As soon as you have joined the group, you can start posting, so don't be shy! Please remember that we have a lot of young members and that off topic posts may be removed.
To join go to facebook.com/groups/UKToppers
There have been a few queries about the colour of championship numbers on sails recently so here is the up dated guidance from the Class Measurer:
The ITCA (GBR) Prescriptions specify that Championship Numbers on sails must be Black or White and contrast with the sail panel to which they are attached.
This latter point is important as race finishing teams,support boats and others sometimes need to be able to read Championship numbers from a distance in difficult conditions.
In most (but not all) cases current Topper sails have a red panel where the championship numbers are to be attached. White numbers contrast clearly with this red panel, whereas the contrats is less clear with black numbers.
(Conversely some sails have a light grey panel in this position, and in this case black numbers contrast more clearly than white numbers would). Whilst the class does not currently intend to require sailors thta have used black championship numbers on sails with a red panel to change them for white championship numbers THE CLASS WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE USE OF WHITE CHAMPIONSHIP NUMBERS ON ANY SAIL WITH A RED PANEL IN FUTURE.
In case any competitor has a sail with a different coloured panel, the following lists the recommended colour of championship numbers to be used more generally.
Still time to enter this event...all welcome!
Have you entered for the National Championships yet? If not, avoid the higher entry fee by entering BEFORE 29th May 2016. We have 3 fleets on offer, so something foreveryone:
- 5.3 fleet: racing all day
- 4.2 fleet: competitive racing with coaching included in the fee (ususally have a break for lunch)
- Regatta Fleet: aimed at our youngest/least experienced sailors with the emphasis on FUN and improving your sailing skills and learning to race. You can sail with either a 5.3 or 4.2 sail in this fleet.
Also on offer:
- A pre event training day on Saturday 5th August for those sailors who are in a zone squad/no squad or a 4.2 sailor. Go out on the water with a qualified coach to get a feel for the area/tides. You need to book this online via the entry system BEFORE 29th May...look for "Pre event training day for 5.3 national Championships 2016". Cost £20 per sailor.
- Area Support Boats for 5.3 sailors who are in zone squad or not in a squad. Get together with other sailors from your area before and after racing each day of the event for a briefing with a qualified coach. Tips on tides, weather, racing and support with technical questions. A great way to make friends from your area and for £100 for the week, you will have a person and a RIB you can go to between races who can look after your extra food/spare kit etc. You need to book this via the online system BEFORE 29th May .... look for "Area Support Boat for 5.3 National Championships".
A quick reminder that the Volvo GJW Direct Topper Inland Championships takes place this coming weekend (April 30th/May 1st) at Grafham Water SC with fun, fast and friendly racing for all. If you haven't already done so, you can still enter on line for 5.3, 4.2 and regatta fleets. Entry closes at midnight on Tuesday 26th April.
- Tim Hall from the RYA will be attending on Saturday to chat to sailors and parents about your options if you are thinking of moving in to a youth boat in the near future.
- We will be holding the first, informal section of our AGM, one hour after the fleets launch on Saturday so come along to the main bar to hear what has been happening behind the scenes and help us formulate a plan for the coming seasons. We need your ideas on venues, dates, racing, training, communication. If you can't attend the meeting because you are helping out on the water or beach then please pick up a feedback sheet at the event or await the on line survey to follow shortly.
- If you wish to camp on site, it is stil not too late to book by contacting Grafham Water Sailing Club directly.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Looking to move on to a Youth Class soon? Then why not come to the "Try a Boat Day" at Grafham Water SC on Monday 2nd May (straight after the Volvo GJW Direct Topper Inlands).
Representatives from the Laser, 29er, 420 and Nacra 15 Classes will be there from 10.30am to 4.30pm to answer your questions and there will be boats available for you to go out on the water and have a try.
Grafham Water SC are co-ordinating the day but if there is a specific boat that you know you would definitely like to have a sail on then you could get in touch with the relevant Class Association direct via their web site.
The day is free for any Junior Class sailor.
If you would like to stay on site in a motorhome or tent on the Sunday night then please book a pitch direct with Grafham Water SC (£15 per night for motorhomes and £10 per night for tents).
Entry for the 2016 Volvo GJW Direct Naional Championships is now open on line. Just click on the link at the top of this page to enter.
The event offers something for everyone and is open to ALL ITCA (GBR) members:
- 5.3 Fleet, sailiing in flights
- 4.2 Summer Championships, with dailiy coaching alongside the racing as part of the entry fee
- Regatta fleet suitable for younger, less experienced sailors who can sail a triangle. Lots of coaching, fun and games and then racing. 5.3 or 4.2 sails welcome in this fleet.
- North Berwick is a great holiday destination for family members who are not sailing too... cycling, tennis, beautiful beaches and only half an hour from Edinburgh Festival on the train!
ENTER BEFORE 29th MAY to take advantage of the lowest fee (£200 per sailor). Fees go up after that (to £265 until 2nd July and then £265 until 23rd July when entry closes)
For those who are NOT in National Junior, National Intermediate or Youth Squad, on water support and dailiy coaching advice is available via area coach boats. A great way to make friends from your area and have a friendly coach to talk to on the water.
You can book a place for this support via the on line entry system too... just look for Area Support Boat as a separate event. YOU MUST BOOK BY 29TH MAY as we need to book coaches and RIBs for this and cannot guarantee we will be able to offer support to people who ask after this date.
We are trialling a new format for our AGM this year to avoid long meetings after saliing at an event.
The traditional format included a chance to catch up on Class news and offer a forum for discussion amongst members and then the constitutional requirements of the Class, including appointing an auditor and electing the comittee.
This year we will split the content in to two.
1. What has the Class been up to? New ideas? A forum for discussion on what members would like to see moving forward:
- To be held in the up stairs bar at Grafham Water SC on April 30th, one hour after sailor launch.
- Information will be circulated in advance with a chance for those involved in the racing to add comments by proxy, give their views via an on line survey and view presentations on line.
2. The formal meeting to be deal with constitutional requirements:
- To be held in the Waterside Room at Mountbatten Sailing Centre on June 18th, one hour after sailor launch.
- All those who wish to stand for election to be nominated in advance.
- Members may vote by proxy in advance if unable to attend (further details to follow).
- A short, sharp meeting but needs a minimum of 30 members to attend.
Please put the dates in your diary and attend if you can. These meetings are open to ALL members.
The 2016 World Championships will be held from 24th-29th July at Ballyhome Yacht Club, Northern Ireland. Entry is now open on line via www.itcaworld.org
Want to know who has won the National Championships from the start of the Class in 1973? Who were the multiple title winners? Which Olymoic sailors started out in a Topper? Roger Cleland (ITCA GBR Chairman 1995-99) has spent the winter months collating information, facts, figures, anecdotes and photos to produce a book detailing the history of the Topper and ITCA (GBR). It is avaialble to purchase via Amazon.co.uk for £9.95. If you access amazon.co.uk via the link at the side of this page then the class will receive a small commission for each one sold.
Congratulations to Ellie Poole who was awarded the Trophy for Young Sailor of the Year by the Yachting Journalists Association at the recent Boat Show. Well done Ellie from all your friends in ITCA (GBR).
Go to http://www.yja.co.uk/default.lasso to read more.
If you are looking to transition from a Junior Class and wish to try out a 29er, the Andrew Simpson Sailiing Centre in Weymouth has 3 29ers that can be used for exactly this purpose. The Centre will charge £80 per person for a full day with a coach. They will want evidence of the sailor's skill level in their Junior Class but are happy to accommodate sailors who want to transition into the world of 29er skiff sailing.
They are also happy to consider dates (October half term or Easter 2016?) where they can offer a discount if 6 sailors sign up.
Dan Hallam is the coach there and is happy to dicuss things with anyone interested. You can get in touch with him on 01305 457400 or by e-mailing him dan©andrewsimpsonsailing.org
Find out more information by looking at the centre website andrewsimpsonsailing.org
The squad dates for all 2015-16 Topper squads have been added to our calendar, and can be downloaded for you to print and pin on your wall here:
Topper Squad Dates