UK Intermediate Squad - UKIS 6 - Weymouth
07 May at 0900
UK Junior Squad - UKJS 6 - Weymouth
Easter Area Open Coaching 5 - RN&SYC
North West Travellers 3 - Budworth SC
Open Training Castle Cove SC
Eastern Area Traveller 2 - RN&SYC
SE Traveller No 4 - Downs SC
15 May at 1030
SW Open Traveller 2 Castle Cove SC
North West Travellers 4- West Kirby
SE Traveller No 5 - Papercourt SC
North West Travellers 4- West Kirby
North West Open Training - Bolton SC
21 May at 0900
4.2 Squad - 4.2 5 - Northampton
Sailingfast Scottish Traveller 5 - Loch Lomond
SE Traveller No 6 - DSWC
National Race Series
Latest Topper News
|ITCA (GBR) is the Class Association for Topper sailors in the UK. We are known as "The Friendly Class", with sailors keen to welcome new members and parents and supporters who are always happy to help one another and promote good sportsmanship. We organise coaching and racing events for Topper sailors both at a regional level and nationally, and although the Topper is sailed predominantly by junior sailors we have active members of all ages in our fleet. Membership is governed by our constitution, which you can view and download here.|
|Click here to Join Us|
Renew Your Membership
Have you entered for the National Championships yet? If not, avoid the higher entry fee by entering BEFORE 29th May 2016. We have 3 fleets on offer, so something foreveryone:
- 5.3 fleet: racing all day
- 4.2 fleet: competitive racing with coaching included in the fee (ususally have a break for lunch)
- Regatta Fleet: aimed at our youngest/least experienced sailors with the emphasis on FUN and improving your sailing skills and learning to race. You can sail with either a 5.3 or 4.2 sail in this fleet.
Also on offer:
- A pre event training day on Saturday 5th August for those sailors who are in a zone squad/no squad or a 4.2 sailor. Go out on the water with a qualified coach to get a feel for the area/tides. You need to book this online via the entry system BEFORE 29th May...look for "Pre event training day for 5.3 national Championships 2016". Cost £20 per sailor.
- Area Support Boats for 5.3 sailors who are in zone squad or not in a squad. Get together with other sailors from your area before and after racing each day of the event for a briefing with a qualified coach. Tips on tides, weather, racing and support with technical questions. A great way to make friends from your area and for £100 for the week, you will have a person and a RIB you can go to between races who can look after your extra food/spare kit etc. You need to book this via the online system BEFORE 29th May .... look for "Area Support Boat for 5.3 National Championships".
A quick reminder that the Volvo GJW Direct Topper Inland Championships takes place this coming weekend (April 30th/May 1st) at Grafham Water SC with fun, fast and friendly racing for all. If you haven't already done so, you can still enter on line for 5.3, 4.2 and regatta fleets. Entry closes at midnight on Tuesday 26th April.
- Tim Hall from the RYA will be attending on Saturday to chat to sailors and parents about your options if you are thinking of moving in to a youth boat in the near future.
- We will be holding the first, informal section of our AGM, one hour after the fleets launch on Saturday so come along to the main bar to hear what has been happening behind the scenes and help us formulate a plan for the coming seasons. We need your ideas on venues, dates, racing, training, communication. If you can't attend the meeting because you are helping out on the water or beach then please pick up a feedback sheet at the event or await the on line survey to follow shortly.
- If you wish to camp on site, it is stil not too late to book by contacting Grafham Water Sailing Club directly.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Looking to move on to a Youth Class soon? Then why not come to the "Try a Boat Day" at Grafham Water SC on Monday 2nd May (straight after the Volvo GJW Direct Topper Inlands).
Representatives from the Laser, 29er, 420 and Nacra 15 Classes will be there from 10.30am to 4.30pm to answer your questions and there will be boats available for you to go out on the water and have a try.
Grafham Water SC are co-ordinating the day but if there is a specific boat that you know you would definitely like to have a sail on then you could get in touch with the relevant Class Association direct via their web site.
The day is free for any Junior Class sailor.
If you would like to stay on site in a motorhome or tent on the Sunday night then please book a pitch direct with Grafham Water SC (£15 per night for motorhomes and £10 per night for tents).
Entry for the 2016 Volvo GJW Direct Naional Championships is now open on line. Just click on the link at the top of this page to enter.
The event offers something for everyone and is open to ALL ITCA (GBR) members:
- 5.3 Fleet, sailiing in flights
- 4.2 Summer Championships, with dailiy coaching alongside the racing as part of the entry fee
- Regatta fleet suitable for younger, less experienced sailors who can sail a triangle. Lots of coaching, fun and games and then racing. 5.3 or 4.2 sails welcome in this fleet.
- North Berwick is a great holiday destination for family members who are not sailing too... cycling, tennis, beautiful beaches and only half an hour from Edinburgh Festival on the train!
ENTER BEFORE 29th MAY to take advantage of the lowest fee (£200 per sailor). Fees go up after that (to £265 until 2nd July and then £265 until 23rd July when entry closes)
For those who are NOT in National Junior, National Intermediate or Youth Squad, on water support and dailiy coaching advice is available via area coach boats. A great way to make friends from your area and have a friendly coach to talk to on the water.
You can book a place for this support via the on line entry system too... just look for Area Support Boat as a separate event. YOU MUST BOOK BY 29TH MAY as we need to book coaches and RIBs for this and cannot guarantee we will be able to offer support to people who ask after this date.
We are trialling a new format for our AGM this year to avoid long meetings after saliing at an event.
The traditional format included a chance to catch up on Class news and offer a forum for discussion amongst members and then the constitutional requirements of the Class, including appointing an auditor and electing the comittee.
This year we will split the content in to two.
1. What has the Class been up to? New ideas? A forum for discussion on what members would like to see moving forward:
- To be held in the up stairs bar at Grafham Water SC on April 30th, one hour after sailor launch.
- Information will be circulated in advance with a chance for those involved in the racing to add comments by proxy, give their views via an on line survey and view presentations on line.
2. The formal meeting to be deal with constitutional requirements:
- To be held in the Waterside Room at Mountbatten Sailing Centre on June 18th, one hour after sailor launch.
- All those who wish to stand for election to be nominated in advance.
- Members may vote by proxy in advance if unable to attend (further details to follow).
- A short, sharp meeting but needs a minimum of 30 members to attend.
Please put the dates in your diary and attend if you can. These meetings are open to ALL members.
The 2016 World Championships will be held from 24th-29th July at Ballyhome Yacht Club, Northern Ireland. Entry is now open on line via www.itcaworld.org
Want to know who has won the National Championships from the start of the Class in 1973? Who were the multiple title winners? Which Olymoic sailors started out in a Topper? Roger Cleland (ITCA GBR Chairman 1995-99) has spent the winter months collating information, facts, figures, anecdotes and photos to produce a book detailing the history of the Topper and ITCA (GBR). It is avaialble to purchase via Amazon.co.uk for £9.95. If you access amazon.co.uk via the link at the side of this page then the class will receive a small commission for each one sold.
Congratulations to Ellie Poole who was awarded the Trophy for Young Sailor of the Year by the Yachting Journalists Association at the recent Boat Show. Well done Ellie from all your friends in ITCA (GBR).
Go to http://www.yja.co.uk/default.lasso to read more.
If you are looking to transition from a Junior Class and wish to try out a 29er, the Andrew Simpson Sailiing Centre in Weymouth has 3 29ers that can be used for exactly this purpose. The Centre will charge £80 per person for a full day with a coach. They will want evidence of the sailor's skill level in their Junior Class but are happy to accommodate sailors who want to transition into the world of 29er skiff sailing.
They are also happy to consider dates (October half term or Easter 2016?) where they can offer a discount if 6 sailors sign up.
Dan Hallam is the coach there and is happy to dicuss things with anyone interested. You can get in touch with him on 01305 457400 or by e-mailing him dan©andrewsimpsonsailing.org
Find out more information by looking at the centre website andrewsimpsonsailing.org
The squad dates for all 2015-16 Topper squads have been added to our calendar, and can be downloaded for you to print and pin on your wall here:
Topper Squad Dates
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who joined in the fun at the weekend. We raised £1401.87 altogether which has already been sent to Cancer Research. Can you believe that we managed to eat our way through £250 worth of cake, buy 1755 raffle tickets and that 163 people were wearing a Launch for Life t-shirt?!
Special thanks to JamiQ, Tordoff Wines & Hampers and Avenue Signs who all gave generously to the event to make it such a success....and to Team Knights whose rib and outfit truly encapsulated the spirit of the day.
There are some photos of the event on Face Book already but here is one photo to give a taste of the laughter we all enjoyed on the day.
We now have our own YouTube channel where we will be loading some great Topper videos for you to watch. Take a look here:
Toppers on YouTube
The minutes from the AGM held on 6th June 2015 at the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club are now available online. You can find them in the downloads section or by following this link:
ITCA (GBR) takes the safety of its members, particularly its young members, very seriously. If you are using Facebook to keep up to date with all that is happening in the world of Toppers, please bear the following guidance in mind:
- Never accept as a friend anybody whom you do not actually know personally – this includes ‘friends of friends’ as it really is not possible to be sure who they are. It is strongly advised that you look through your friend list and delete anybody that you do not actually know. The same advice would be appropriate for anybody who is followed/following on Twitter (or similar media) by somebody they do not know.
- Disclose only very limited personal information so that your son/your home address cannot be traced
- People under the age of 13 should not have Facebook accounts – this is the guidance from Facebook and the police.
- Never post, send or share a photograph of yourself, or anyone else, which could be considered to be offensive to anyone, or could be used against you, now or in later life
- Never post, send or share a comment which could be considered offensive to anyone, or could be used against you, now or in later life